Saturday, July 26, 2014

Nina Garcia Quarterly NG03 Review

Nina Garcia Quarterly #03 (NGQ03)


I can't tell you how excited I was to get this subscription!  Because I signed up too late to get the spring box, I had to wait allllll the way until the end of June to get the summer one!  This is the third box curated by designer and fashion expert Nina Garcia.  You may know her as one of the judges from the Bravo TV show, Project Runway, or because she is the creative director of Marie Claire.

The previous two boxes looked beyond amazing, so at $100 per quarter, I decided to go for it.  The price is a little steep, but I consoled myself with the fact that instead of paying $120+ for PSMH during the same time-frame, I could get this PLUS something else.  That something else was Fabfitfun, so I did go a little over budget with the two combined, but it was worth it.

First Look, Nina Garcia Quarterly #03

This box was packed perfectly.  There was a 6 page letter from Nina explaining why she chose the items she did, her own tissue paper individually wrapping each item, a bonus offer from Surya Brasil and a code for a free limited-edition Otterbox phone case ($50 retail value!).

I do not have a phone compatible with the Otterbox offer, so I gave it to a friend who does.  The brightly colored print is what the case itself will look like.  It was designed by Nina for Otterbox in the spirit of the 2014 World Cup held in Rio.


Print All Over Me Palm Tree Canvas Clutch

I think this was designed specially for this box.  I'm not sure, though.  It fits a bathing suit, small cover-up, a bottle of sunscreen, and a hair brush.  It's one of the bigger canvas bags I own, and it is great!  I love the palm tree print, the gold zipper, and how roomy it is.  I'm going to Florida for vacation in a few weeks, and I will definitely bring this with me.

Value, $20?


In my FFF review, I said this was the summer of canvas clutches... and I meant it!  There was ANOTHER one in the NGQ03 box.


Myrto Clutch by Koku

This retailed for about $110, but it is currently on sale.  It is a canvas zippered pouch, with a plexiglass shark and raffia fringe.  I immediately pulled off all the raffia and am MUCH happier with it.  I love the shark!  There were some other designs sent out, including a fish skeleton, but I am so glad I got this version.


Spenglish Muito Cool Hat

I didn't mention it, but this box had a Brazillian theme.  Muito means "very" in Portuguese, and there is a Brazillian flag behind the letters.  It is so far out of my comfort range, it's not even funny!

However, I am going to a white elephant party tomorrow (where you bring a quirky gift to yankee-swap that someone might love and others might hate) and I think it would be perfect!  Someone who loves soccer, the World Cup, Brasil, or hats might like this.

This is selling for $55 on the Spenglish site right now.  Woah.



Formula X for Sephora Nail Color in Push the Limits

I was pretty excited to see Sephora's new nail polish (Formula X) included in this box!  It is more expensive than Essie or OPI, so I haven't yet tried it out.  The color is a beautiful red-orange and is perfect for a summer pedi.  This went on so smoothly and evenly, and dried relatively quickly.  I am super happy with this polish, and it is among my favorites in my extensive collection!  I will definitely have to keep my eye out for sales on this stuff. 

Sephora Formula X, $10.50

Ok, so here things get a little weird.  Everyone was sent a little shoe.  There were a few different styles, and both left and right shoes were sent out.

Melissa Shoe Desk Ornament
This brand apparently started in Brazil? I may be wrong.  They make rubber, vegan shoes (like the jelly shoes of the 90s) that are scented like something vaguely fruity.  The shoe I got was designed by Zaha Hadid.  Eh.  It's a little shoe?  What am I going to do with it?

Value, $5?

Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray

To me, this is a combination of dry shampoo and hair spray.  It is weird.  I know people swear by it, but I wasn't really impressed.  Maybe if I give it another try, I will change my mind.

This travel size, 2.2 oz, sells for $21.50 (WHAT?!)


ck One Pure Color Lipstick by Calvin Klein in DollFace 

What is it about applying a fancy lipstick that makes you feel so grown up?  This looks classy with the two-toned case, and is a beautiful medium rose color that looks gorgeous when applied.  It stays put, glides on, and feels super hydrating.  There is a slight vanilla scent to it.  I love it!  

lipstick, $16


Wow, there sure are a lot of things in this box!

Keep on reviewing...


Surya Brasil Sapien Women Shave Gel

If for nothing else, this shaving gel makes the NGQ03 box worth it!  This smells like Smarties (the candy) and is the best shaving gel/cream/anything I've used, by far.  Even with a cheap 2-blade disposable Bic razor, my legs were perfectly smooth.  I will be so sad when I run out of this!  I can't tell you how awesome it is.

Value, about $20.


Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration SPF 30 Sunscreen

This stuff smells so good!  Plus, it is SPF 30, and not one of their wimpy SPF 4 products.  Excellent.  This isn't the most luxurious sunscreen brand out there, but I can always use more, and it saves me from having to go to the store.

Value, ~$10


Red Flower Refreshing Hand and Face Towelette in Italian Blood Orange

I am saving this for my upcoming travels, but I'm sure it's nice.  I was laughing at the single packet included in this box!  A pack of 7 is only $5, and alongside all the super fancy items a single face towelette seems so out of place!

$0.71


Nest Fragrances Grapefruit Votive Candle

There is a little etched pinstripe design in the glass votive holder, which I think is adorable.  The scent itself is amazing, and I am really happy with this variation!  Although, it did look like a number of equally delicious scents were sent out (Orange Blossom, Bamboo, Moss + Mint) and I probably would have been just as thrilled with any one of them.

Value $14.


Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator

Wow.  Just, wow.  How did I not know about this stuff?  This "Intesnse Hydrator" is really just a super-duper conditioner.  It made my hair so soft, shiny, and healthy-looking! I had like three days of spectacular hair after using this, which in the middle of a humid summer is really saying something.

At $16, I will definitely be re-purchasing this.  It is by far the best deep conditioner I've ever used!  I had the BEST SHOWER EVER using this and the shaving gel at the same time.  Wow.  I was like a new person.


Finally, we have the "big ticket" item.


Frends Ella In-Ear Headphones

These pretty little gold-accented headphones sell for $99.  Yes.  That is correct.  They come with a little case, and they have a mic so you can use them to make calls, and they have a life-time warranty.  But they are ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS.  For headphones.  Earbud headphones.  What?!  Maybe this is why my science is going so well lately.  I work with gold, and I've been wearing these in lab.  Maybe they have magical alchemic powers that give me control over the rest of the gold in my nearby surroundings.  Or maybe they just make me look fancy.  Same thing.



#NGQ03

Whew! That was a lot of reviewing! All together, this box had a value of about $447.71.  That is absolutely bonkers.  I have to say, I am super impressed with this box!  Sure, there was a miss or two, but with so many home runs, it was worth it.

The Nina Garcia Quarterly box is $100 per quarter and ships next in September.  I already can't wait to see what is in #NGQ04!


No special consideration or compensation was received for this post and all thoughts and opinions are my own. All items mentioned within were paid for by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment